The Brendan Dassey Confession: Lessons for Interviewers
The Brendan Dassey Confession: Lessons for Interviewers: In the Netflix series, Making A Murderer, 16-year-old Brendan Dassey confessed to participating in a murder, but there are many opinions regarding the validity and accuracy of the confession. Using snippets and statements from the actual confession, participants will dissect the interviewer’s role critiquing what went right/wrong while also discussing how to utilize these findings to perform better interviews in the future. (2 hrs)
Learning Objectives: After this block of instruction, the participants will be able to:
- Given a scenario, evaluate an interview for effectiveness.
- Develop an interview style designed to best elicit information from the interviewee.
- Compare/contrast minimization/maximization techniques.
- Assess the strengths and weaknesses of leading questions.
- Explain the importance of listening in interviews.
- Develop methods to limit the interviewer’s percentage of talking during an interview.
- Explain the importance of periodically re-charging System 2 in the interview process.
- Implement the moral equilibrium concept to promote truthfulness.
- Devise methods to avoid false confessions.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes