Michael Bret Hood | 21st Century Learning & Consulting LLC
A financial crime, fraud, money laundering & leadership expert with 25 years of hands-on FBI experience leading investigative teams and people.
- Masters in Business Administration (M.B.A.) with a concentration in business continuity, security and risk management from Boston University
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in accounting from Southern Illinois University
- 25 years as a Supervisory Special Agent and Special Agent in the FBI Federal court certified expert in white collar crime and money laundering.
- Successfully investigated and convicted over 100 white collar criminal defendants.
- Analyzed hundreds of millions of dollars in financial transactions.
- Seized over $50 million dollars from convicted white collar criminals.
- Master trainer and facilitator who has led approximately 50 United States government delegations teaching financial crimes, money laundering, anti-corruption, risk assessment, and leadership to international law enforcement and other governmental agencies.
- United States Attorneys’ Office Special Agent of the Year in 1998, 2001, 2005, & 2008
- Recipient of FBI Director’s Awards for Leadership & Innovation in 2012 and 2013
- Letter of Commendation from FBI Director 2000
- Economic Crimes Agent of the Year – 2008
- Forfeiture Agent of the Year – 2005
- Adjunct Professor of Leadership for the University of Virginia
- Permanent Guest Lecturer – Florida Gulf Coast University forensic accounting class
- Featured speaker for the Association of Certified Fraud Examiner’s global fraud conference in 2015 & 2016
- Forensic accounting guest speaker at Florida Atlantic University and the University of South Florida.
Licenses & Specialized Training
- Certified Fraud Examiner – 2011
- Certified Advanced Instructor and “Train the Trainer” – 2002
- ASIS International Member Advanced Psychology classes on human behavior
- Advanced adult learning courses
- Leadership for Law Enforcement, University of Virginia
- Leadership, Ethics & Decision-Making, University of Virginia
- Basic Psychology of Leadership, University of Virginia
- Contemporary Issues in Policing, University of Virginia
- Forensic Accounting, Florida Gulf Coast University
- Executive Leadership, International Law Enforcement Academy
- Leadership & Public Corruption, International Law Enforcement Academy
- Anti-Corruption Initiatives & Programs, International Law Enforcement Academy
- Introduction to Counter-Terrorism, International Law Enforcement Academy
- Financial Crime, Money Laundering, & Terrorist Financing, International Law Enforcement Academy
- Risk Assessment & Management, International Law Enforcement Academy
- Advanced Money Laundering Techniques, Brazil Police Academy
- Financial Institution Fraud, Indonesia Police Academy
- Fraud & Other Economic Crimes, International Law Enforcement Academies
- Anti-Money Laundering, Malaysian Federal Reserve
- Training Center Ethics & Compliance, Greek Police Academy
- Ethics, Internal Controls & Compliance, Cypriot Police Academy
- The Role of Qui Tam Actions Under the False Claims Act in Preventing and Deterring Fraud Against Government, University of Miami Business Law Review (March 2007)
- The Incoming Millennial Fraud Tidal Wave, Fraud magazine (March 2016)
- Us Vs. Them: The Effects of Group Dynamics on Leadership, Law Enforcement Bulletin (June 2015)
- Should You Always Lead From The Front?, Leadership Spotlight, Law Enforcement Bulletin (September 2014)
- The Leader Knows Best, Leadership Spotlight, Law Enforcement Bulletin (November 2012)
- Overestimating Yourself, Leadership Spotlight, Law Enforcement Bulletin (March 2015)
- The Carver & The Planter, Leadership Spotlight, Law Enforcement Bulletin (July 2015)
- I Should Have Eaten More Ice Cream!, Leadership Spotlight, Law Enforcement Bulletin (September 2015)
- Social Psychological Behaviors: An Under-Utilized Tool for Interviewers, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners Conference Paper (June 2015)
- Why Let the Truth Get in the Way: How Implicit Biases Affect Investigations, Law Enforcement Bulletin (July 2016)
- Importance of the Little Things, Leadership Spotlight, Law Enforcement Bulletin (July 2016)
- Don’t Fall For Time-Tested Fraud Schemes, Nabor News, July 2002
- Is The Media Still Objective? Why Law Enforcement Executives Have an Outdated View of the Media – (In Review Process)